WMR/Intro to Race Coaches and Staff
UpdatedFriday November 20, 2020 byPaige Sidler.
- The WMR Staff is dedicated to the highest standard of training. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in a coaching position.
WMR Alpine Program Staff
Alpine Race Director/Head Coach
- Stephen Lathrop--Steve competed for 5 years on the World Cup as a member of the US “A” Ski Team & FIS World Championships, ranked 16th in SL & 33rd in downhill in the World. A US Nat. Downhill Champion, US Nat. Combined Champion, US Jr Nat. SL Champion & CanAm SL Champion. He has a BA from Middlebury College & MBA from Harvard Business School. Steve recently was the Dir. of Stratton Mountain School’s alpine devo program. A Coach & Family Man, coaching ski racing all of his adult life, his 4 ski racing daughters all VT State Champions, USSA Eastern Regional Champions, or US Jr Nat Champions & one a US Ski Team D member, his son a NCAA All-American (D3) tennis player. Steve workds closely with WMR's Program Director Sara Montgomery and Race/Events Manager Sascha Mehalik on all aspects of the WMR program. Steve also works with WMR's coaching staff implementing WMR's training schedule and philosophy incorporating his coaching expertise. Stephen will be working with the coaches and athletes in all age categories and programs this season on and off the hill.
WMR Program Director:
- Sara Montgomery, General Manager of West Mountain and VP of the West Mountain School, is also the Program Director for West Mountain Racing. Sara has been helping manage the WMR program since it was established in 2012. Sara has four children, two who are in college and two who are currently in the WMR program. Madeline, a former WMR racer is now a sophomore lacrosse and soccer recruit at Hobart & William Smith Colleges, Hunter, now a freshman football recruit at Middlebury College, is the former U14 Hovey Winner, NY HS State champion SL, Combined 2020, GS, SL and Combined 2019, and SL 2018, and top NYSSRA skier. Meredith (U16, USSA, NYSSRA), and Hudson (U14, USSA, NYSSRA), are both top NYSSRA racers in their age divisions. Hudson was the U12 1st place male kombi and overall award winner at the Kandahar in 2020 as well as 1st place U12 Hovey award winner in 2020. Sara works with Alpine Race Director Steve Lathrop on developing a comprehensive training, development and travel year-round calendar that has a heavy Skills Quest focus. Sara works directly with Events Director Sascha Mehalik and RA Margaret Godsil on races and development camps held at West Mountain. She also writes grants and fundraises for the West Mountain School, which supports WMR program members with program scholarships, safety equipment and supplies. Sara is committed to running an organized, professional year-around race program and academy (new in 2020/21). Sara is passionate about children, athletics and the outdoors. Sara is a graduate of the University of Iowa with a BA in Journalism. She worked as an editor for Crain Communications in Chicago before staying home to raise her 4 children. She returned to work to help her husband operate West Mountain when her youngest, Hudson, started Kindergarten. She can be reached at email@example.com
- Spencer Montgomery firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sascha Mehalik--A former ski racer for National Sports Academy, Sascha Mehalik has become instrumental in race event planning and organization at West Mountain. Sascha is responsible for coordinating everything from volunteers to officials to bnet set up/take down, equipment inventory and repair, course asthetics, and more. His attention to detail does not go unnoticed by outside race organizers or by the coaches and staff at West Mountain.
WMR On-Site Race Tuning Technicians are availble to service our team members at West Mountain Sports
WMR Head Race Crew
- Frank Hohman--Chief of Course
- Steve Piesniekowski--Race Event Manager
- Michael Donlon, Mark Pavlus, Michael Robertson, Mary Quinn, Babs Donlon, and Robert Ruth
- Steve Rodman--Chief of Timing & Data
- Steve Hudson, Robert Underwood
* Coaches *
- Jerry McNealus -- (U16/U19), a former member of the US Ski Team and a World Cup competitor, Jerry has been coaching for many years most recently with Willard Mountain.
- Michael Gilbert (U16, U19), a former West Mountain racer, has been a full-time ski coach for West Mountain Racing since 2015. Mike is a certified Level 400 Alpine Ski Coach who is also a certified Strength Coach and Personal Trainer through the National Strength and Conditioning Association. During his ski coaching career, Mike has worked with skiers from Intro to Race to the FIS level. Mike’s professional pursuit has included notable accomplishments coaching skiing at Nashoba Valley where he served as Head Coach and Program Director 1997-2000, Woods Valley 2001-04, and here at West Mountain.
- Bill Bennett (U8. U10)--Bill Bennett will be returning to coach in the 2020/2021 season for his 28th year at West Mountain. Bill is a Level 3 PSIA certified instuctor and USSA Level 100 certified coach and referee. Bill taught first lesson at West Mountain in 1968. He was formerly Assistant Director of Brodie Mt Ski School '75-'77, Ski School Director Alpine Meadows '77-'92 and then Race coach at West Mountain from '92- present. Bill is the proud father of coaches John and Victoria.
- Alex Hohman (U14)--Alex will be entering his fifth season as a coach for West Mountain. Alex is a former ski racer for Queensbury High School, USSA racer for WMR, FIS skier for Mount Mansfield Ski Club and Collegiate racer for Syracuse University. Alex was a 2 time NYSPHSAA champion both at the team and individual level. At the Eastern US High School Championships, Alex took third place in GS. Alex has been a USSA member since 2004 and during that time was a NYSSRA representative to multiple Eastern US Alpine Championships. In his spare time, Alex enjoys restoring antique trucks and back country skiing in the Adirondacks and Tuckerman Ravine.
- Erik Smith (U12)--Erik Smith grew up in Lake Placid, NY and competed for NYSEF and Northwood School and then went on to race for the University of Albany in the late 90s. Erik is a Level 100 coach and has been coaching for several years first at Jiminy Peak and then at Bromley Mountain. Erik lives in Albany with his family.
- Erin Collins Welch (U12)--Erin grew up skiing at West Mountain and racing for West Mountain's race team. She also raced for Glens Falls High School, qualifying for states all four years. Erin continued racing for Plymouth State University in New Hampshire and qualified to participate on Plymouth's national team, freshman and sophomore year. Erin and her husband Brian, have two young boys also enjoying the race program at West!
- James Woods (U12)
- June Scalia (U16, U19)--June Scalia is a Queensbury native. She grew up skiing at Gore Mountain before attending the Green Mountain Valley School in Waitsfield, Vermont, from which she graduated in 2010. In addition to coaching, she is an art historian and writer and will earn her master’s degree in art history from Hunter College upon the completion of her thesis in the Spring of 2021
- John Bennett (U14)--John Benett has been coaching at West Mountain since 2014. He is a graduate of Clarkson University where he ski raced in the USCSA division. In 2010, John's 9th place GS finish at the USCSA Mideast Regionals helped the Knights win the National Championship. John is a Level 100 Coach and referee.
- Mary Wilday (U8, U10) Marygeralyn (MG) started her race coaching career as an alpine racing parent. Her daughter, Roarinbrook began racing first on the Nastar gates at Gore Mountain at age 6. After two years of racing NYSEF with podium standings, MG and her family moved to Winter Park, Colorado to continue her daughter’s race career on a more competitive level. U10- U16 the duties of a race parent increased significantly from travel, tuning, education on proper skis, bindings, safety gear and the like to coaching the 4-8 year olds. MG resides in Lake George with her fiancé, two dogs, Gunnar and Schotzi, and the bird Cocktail. On the off season MG enjoys Cycling, Hiking, Camping and anything to do with the outdoors.
FIS Support Coaches
- Steve Lathrop and Vinny Marino
- Steven Piesniekowski
- Hunter Montgomery
- Madeline Montgomery
- Hannah Klingebiel
- Michaela Lathrop
- Chloe Lathrop
Intro To Racing Coaches
- Patrick Cunningham
- David Newey
- Scott Palmer
- Brian Fish
*The WMR staff may change from time to time and without notice.