WMR Coaches and Staff
UpdatedThursday October 21, 2021 byPaige Sidler.
The WMR Staff is dedicated to the highest standard of training. Please email email@example.com if you are interested in a coaching position.
WMR Alpine Program Staff
Alpine Race Director/Head Coach
- Stephen Lathrop--Steve competed for 5 years on the World Cup as a member of the US “A” Ski Team & FIS World Championships, ranked 16th in SL & 33rd in downhill in the World. A US Nat. Downhill Champion, US Nat. Combined Champion, US Jr Nat. SL Champion & CanAm SL Champion. He has a BA from Middlebury College & MBA from Harvard Business School. Steve recently was the Dir. of Stratton Mountain School’s alpine devo program. A Coach & Family Man, coaching ski racing all of his adult life, his 4 ski racing daughters all VT State Champions, USSA Eastern Regional Champions, or US Jr Nat Champions & one a US Ski Team D member, his son a NCAA All-American (D3) tennis player. Steve workds closely with WMR's Program Director Sara Montgomery and Race/Events Manager Sascha Mehalik on all aspects of the WMR program. Steve also works with WMR's coaching staff implementing WMR's training schedule and philosophy incorporating his coaching expertise. Stephen will be working with the coaches and athletes in all age categories and programs this season on and off the hill. WMR Program Coordinator
WMR Program Director
- Sara Montgomery, General Manager of West Mountain and VP of the West Mountain School, is also the Program Director for West Mountain Racing. Sara has been helping manage the WMR program since it was established in 2012. Sara has four children, two who are in college and two who are currently in the WMR program. Madeline, a former WMR racer is now a junior lacrosse and soccer recruit and lacrosse IWLCA All-American, four-time Rookie of the Week, Rookie of the a year, IWLCA Eastern Region 1st Team at Hobart & William Smith Colleges, Hunter, now a sophomore football recruit at Middlebury College, is the former U14 Hovey Winner, NY HS State champion SL, Combined 2020, GS, SL and Combined 2019, and SL 2018, and top NYSSRA skier. Meredith (U19, USSA, NYSSRA), and Hudson (U14, USSA, NYSSRA), are both top NYSSRA racers in their age divisions. Hudson was the U12 1st place male kombi and overall award winner at the Kandahar in 2020 as well as 1st place U12 Hovey award winner in 2020, and top U14 as a 1st-year in 20-21. Sara works with Alpine Race Director Steve Lathrop on developing a comprehensive training, development and travel year-round calendar that has a heavy Skills Quest focus. Sara works directly with Events Director Sascha Mehalik and RA Margaret Godsil on races and development camps held at West Mountain. She also writes grants and fundraises for the West Mountain School, which supports WMR program members with program scholarships, safety equipment and supplies. Sara is committed to running an organized, professional year-around race program and academy (new in 2020/21). Sara is passionate about children, athletics and the outdoors. Sara is a graduate of the University of Iowa with a BA in Journalism. She worked as an editor for Crain Communications in Chicago before staying home to raise her 4 children. She returned to work to help her husband operate West Mountain and West Mountain Racing when her youngest, Hudson, started Kindergarten. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WMR Program Coordinator
- Tim Scialabba, Assistant to the General Manager of West Mountain, will also be working as the WMR Program Coordinator, working closely with Sara Montgomery on managing WMR's Academy and Club programs. Tim will also be the liasion between WMR Alpine Race Director Steve Lathrop, WMR Events Director Jamey Rothermel, and West Mountain's Outdoor Operations team on race and training logistics. A University of Colorado graduate of Business Administration and Marketing, Tim focused on resort management and sustainability while spending his free time on the slopes in the Rockies and in the stands cheering on his beloved Buffaloes. Tim grew up in the shadow of West Mountain and ski raced through West Mountain Racing, QHS, and later on Northfield Mount Hermon School in the Berkshires. During the summer, golf, mountain biking and hiking are Tim’s favorite activities. Tim shares his passion for skiing and sports with his wife, 3 kids and dog, (Emily, George, Benny, Gabby, and Casco).
- Spencer Montgomery email@example.com
WMR On-Site Race Tuning Technicians are availble to service our team members at West Mountain Sports
WMR Head Race Crew
- Frank Hohman--Chief of Course
- Jamey Rothermel--Race Event Manager
- Michael and Babs Donlon, Mark and Deb Pavlus, Michael Robertson, Mary Quinn, Dave Klingebiel
- Steve Rodman--Chief of Timing & Data
- Robert Underwood --Timing & Data
* Coaches * More 21-22 Coaching Announcements Coming Soon!
- Mario Hluch (U16, U19)--Mario has been coaching since 2000. Before coaching at West, Mario coached in Austria and Slovakia. While there he worked under the leadership of some of Europe’s top coaches and competed against other ski schools as a member of a demo team. Mario’s athletic passion also extends to tennis. In Europe he competed as a professional tennis player and later played for a Division 1 school here in the US. Mario is a PSIA Level 3 instructor and a USSA Level 200 coach.
- Pavla Berry (U14)--Pavla grew up ski racing in the Czech Republic. She was the Czech national champion in slalom as J3. She spent several years on the Czech National Team and during that time qualified for 2 World Junior Championships and Europa cups. After moving to United States, Pavla raced for Sierra Nevada College and assisted the team in winning 3 overall USCSA titles by making the podium 3 times. She also qualified for 3 World Winter University games. As a coach, Pavla started coaching summer camps in Mt. Hood while in College. She then coached for Ski and Snowboard Club Vail. After moving to New York, she coached for West Mountain for a few years before taking a break from ski racing to raise her children. For the past two years, she coached for NYSEF Gore. Pavla has two daughters in West Mountain Racing program and is excited to be back at West Mountain to coach.
- Bill Bennett (U8, U10)--Bill Bennett will be returning to coach in the 2020/2021 season for his 28th year at West Mountain. Bill is a Level 3 PSIA certified instuctor and USSA Level 100 certified coach and referee. Bill taught first lesson at West Mountain in 1968. He was formerly Assistant Director of Brodie Mt Ski School '75-'77, Ski School Director Alpine Meadows '77-'92 and then Race coach at West Mountain from '92- present. Bill is the proud father of coaches John and Victoria.
- Rufus Davis (U16, U19)--Rufus Davis has been coaching for over 10 years. Before joining WMR, Rufus coached at Magic Mountain in Vermont where he was head coach and head technical coach. During his last four years at Magic he primarily worked with U16 and U19 racers. Rufus is certified as a US Ski and Snowboard referee and level 200 coach. He raced in USSA Central Division in high school and qualified for Central Division championships as a J1 and J2. Rufus raced USCSA in college and in three of his four college racing years finished with a top five ranking in both SL and GS. After college Rufus raced in several skiercross series. He was also a competitive mogul skier and twice finished in fourth place at Aspen's pro, dual format Freestyle Fridays series. Rufus started coaching ski racing in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. He can't wait to get back out on the hill with West's racers and coaches.
- Hunter Montgomery (U14) -- Hunter Montgomery is entering his second season as coach for WMR. Hunter grew up ski racing for West Mountain Racing. Hunter, now a sophomore football recruit at Middlebury College, is the former U14 Hovey Winner, NY HS State champion SL, Combined 2020, GS, SL and Combined 2019, and SL 2018, and a top NYSSRA skier.
- Marcus Severin (U12)-- Bio Coming Soon!
- Erin Collins Welch (U12) --Erin grew up skiing at West Mountain and racing for West Mountain's race team. She also raced for Glens Falls High School, qualifying for states all four years. Erin continued racing for Plymouth State University in New Hampshire and qualified to participate on Plymouth's national team, freshman and sophomore year. Erin and her husband Brian, have two young boys also enjoying the race program at West!
- James Woods -- (U12) Bio Coming soon!
- Nick Gush -- Bio Coming Soon
- John Bennett (U14) -- John Benett has been coaching at West Mountain since 2014. He is a graduate of Clarkson University where he ski raced in the USCSA division. In 2010, John's 9th place GS finish at the USCSA Mideast Regionals helped the Knights win the National Championship. John is a Level 100 Coach and referee.
- Marygeralyn (MG) Wilday (U8, U10)--MG started her race coaching career as an alpine racing parent. Her daughter, Roarinbrook began racing first on the Nastar gates at Gore Mountain at age 6. After two years of racing NYSEF with podium standings, MG and her family moved to Winter Park, Colorado to continue her daughter’s race career on a more competitive level. U10- U16 the duties of a race parent increased significantly from travel, tuning, education on proper skis, bindings, safety gear and the like to coaching the 4-8 year olds. MG resides in Lake George with her fiancé, two dogs, Gunnar and Schotzi, and the bird Cocktail. On the off season MG enjoys Cycling, Hiking, Camping and anything to do with the outdoors.
- Roarinbook (Rory) Smith (Devo)-- Rory began skiing at age 2 at Mount Bachelor in Bend, Oregon. She began her race career at age 6, racing with NYSEF at Gore Mountain placing in the top 5 of her age group for the season. Rory and her family then moved to Colorado to continue her dream of ski racing. Rory raced on the Winter Park, Colorado, Alpine Team from a U8 until U16. Rory competed in 3 disciplines while on the Winter Park Team: Slalom, GS and Super G. Roarinbrook's specialty on the race course was Super G, where she competed two years in a row at the Junior Olympics. She has competed in race venues all over Colorado while on the Winter Park Team. After moving back to New York, Roarinbrook took a different approach to skiing, joining the Gore Mountain ski school as an instructor at age 16. Rory has been an instructor there for the last 3 seasons, instructing ages 4-10 in season long weekend lessons. She currently is a second year Dean's List student at SUNY Adirondack. As a freshman she became SUNY Adirondack's first, and only female golfer. She currently holds the tittle of NJCAA Region 3 woman's golf champion. Rory comes from a long family history of ski racers as well as PSIA ski instructors.
FIS Support Coaches
- Madeline Montgomery
- Hannah Klingebiel
- Michaela Lathrop
- Chloe Lathop
Intro To Racing Coaches
- Patrick Cunningham
- David Newey
- Abbey DeRooker
- Brian Fish
*The WMR staff may change from time to time and without notice.